Friday, February 1, 2019

Major Abercrombie's Letter to Earl of Loudoun, Sep. 1763


Transcription of a letter giving details of military affairs in America at the end of the French and Indian war, sent to Earl of Loudoun as former commander in America. Parson Robert Macpherson returned home in September [prior to the mutiny at Quebec], having obtained leave from General Murray, while the main body of the 78th Regiment departed Quebec in early October, arriving at Glasgow in December 1763.


Quebec Sepr. The 15th 1763
My Lord

I have nothing worth giving your Lordship the trouble of a letter however I could not let slip this opportunity of congratulating you on your return from Portugal, for by what I have heard of the few Portuguese troops & the handful of English your Lordship had few laurele could have been reapt.

The Indian War is almost become general in this Country, all the upper posts have been cut off except Detroit, your Lordship will readily excuse me coppying the New York Gazette, besides the bearer Mr McPherson Chaplain to the 78th can acquaint you with what we know, this gentleman is a most deserving Sensible man, & the best Chaplain I ever knew, I hope your Lordship will therefore be pleased to honor him with your countenance.

The 47th & 78th have been drafted to compleat the 15th, 27th, 2d Bn. Royal America, those three Regts remain in this govt. & trois rivieres – the 28th at Montreal who were completed from the 4th Battn. Rl. Americans & the 44th the last Regt. garrisons Crown Point & fort Levi – alias fort Wm. Augustus.

Nothing is yet setled in Canada either in respect to governor or governments all Murray expects to remain & will be much dissapointed should it happen otherwise.

Your friend Robertson has gone to Pensacola & Louisana to settle the posts there, I hope it will be made worth his while, for it is a most dissagreable jaunt.

I intended to have gone home with the remains of the Regt. but Sir Jeffery has desired I would go by New York, I shall therefore set out for thence in a few days, & I don’t think it improbable but I may be sent a Scouting if theres the least probability of a step I shall accept with pleasure, but without that I will not be fond of Indian hunting.

My best respects to Miss Kitty, & I have the honor to be,
Your Lordship
Much obliged & most
Humble Servant
James Abercrombie ~ 

To the Earl of Loudoun

Source:
Abercrombie, James. "Letter addressed to John Campbell, 4th Earl of Loudoun, 15 Sept. 1763." John Campbell, Loudoun papers concerning the siege and fall of Quebec, 1756-1784. Houghton Library, Harvard College Library, cat. no. 45M-113F.

©  Jeffrey Campbell, The 78th Regiment of Foot, 2019. 

Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment