Sunday, September 1, 2024

Second Highland Battalion Recruiting Efforts

As recruiting for the newly established Second Highland Battalion began in January 1757, Colonel Simon Fraser, Commanding Officer, informed Lord George Beauclerk, Commander of Scottish forces in North Britain, as to the status of his recruiting efforts. 

The War Office in London authorized funding for 1040 men, and the battalion appears to have met its initial recruiting goal in just about 45 days. The following is a transcribed copy of that correspondence.

Colonel Simon Fraser to Lord George Beauclerk

Copy of a Letter from Lieut. Colonel Fraser,
to Captain Stewart Secry. to the Rgt. Honble. 
Lord George Beauclerk dated, Inverness 
1st March 1757.

Sir,
    I must beg you will acquaint My Lord George Beauclerk that the Battalion which I have the Honour to Command is Compleat. The Returns I found here amounted to 582, what I pick'd up myself at Edinburgh and in the several Countrys I passed through 150, which, with 306 which I got in three Days in the Fraser Country makes the whole number 1038. Rank and File without including some subalterns who have as yet made no returns. As in such a number raised in a hurry there must necessarily be many Exceptionable Men, I have not stopt the Recruiting, but have desired them to be nicer than at first, and I hope to have as many supernumerary as will enable me to Discharge any exceptionable ones.
    I hope My Lord George will Excuse my not sending a Regular Return, which I cannot tale upon me to do till I have seen and approve the Men; and as My Lord has order'd me to march them to Glasgow I'm afraid I shan't be able to make any regular Return till the Regimt. is all there, and that will be some time first, as many of them are in the most remote parts of the Highlands where they have been recruited. I have wrote General Napier the State of the Battalion but have begged his Excuse also for making no Return till I have seen the men.
    In case it should make the officers here remiss, I have not informed any here except General Leighton, that the Regiment is compleat, and I submit to my Lord George if it will be improper to say nothing of it for a week or two, as I have Expectations from two or three Quarters for some fine fellows, which I shan't have unless they think I stand in great need.
    In obedience to Lord Georges Commands I shall march Four Companies for Glasgow next week. 

I am sir &c.
Signed S: Fraser

Source: W.O. 1/974, pp. 365-6.

©  Jeffrey Campbell, Fraser's 78th Regiment of Foot, 2024.


Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment