Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Letter from Colonel Simon Fraser, 2d Highland Battalion, to General Forbes, Feb. 25, 1758

Dear Sir

I hope you are Satisfied before now that I am not so much to blame as you Imagin'd with regard to the Returns but to prevent a poĹżsibility of mistake I send inclosed the Return for this Month, & have sent one also by this bearer to Genl. Webb.

The 35th, 44th, & 48th have kept the vests the drafts from our Regt. had on, the reason assigned is that those Regts. have no vests to give them, however that be, I fancy you will think it unreasonable that so many Men of our Regiment shoud go about without vests, while those Regts. wear the vests bought for our Men and paid for by me - the original price will not be an equivalent, because if those vests are not return'd, I must buy new ones at a leas'd rate than those cost at home, & yet perhaps those Regts. may grudge paying the Reginal price; I beg you may be so good to Advise me what I shoud do in this Matter, which I have mention'd to Genl. Webb, but without making any demand.

Serjt. Fraser was tried for the death of Corporal McKeye by the Superior Court yesterday, the indictment was laid for Murder, of which the Jury brought him in not guilty & the Court acquitted & dismissed him; I must do them the Justice to say that the Court & Jury behav'd with such moderation decency & propriety as Surprized me. The Colony of Connecticut & the 2d Highland Battalion are hand & glove & we are the only old countrymen they believe capable of performing great exploits, not but they hold themselves as the great Warriors, & suffer us only to follow longo intervallo.
     
My Lord preĹżs'd last Sunday in great health - your warm room was ready, but I own I was not sorry you did not apear for such a jaunt in rich weather coud hardly be Salutary.
    
                                                                                I am with great regard
                                                                                Dear Sir
                                                                                Your most obedt. & most 
                                                                                humble Servant
                                                    
                                                                                S. Fraser

Cover sheet:
Stratford Febry 25th 1758

Source:
Col. Simon Fraser, "Letter of Col. Simon Fraser to Colonel Forbes, Adjutant General, at His House in the Broadway or at the Fort, New York." NAS, GD45-2-29, pp. 18-19. 

©  Jeffrey Campbell, Fraser's 78th Regiment of Foot, 2017.

Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment