Monday, April 15, 2019

Letter to Major James Clephane at New York, 1759


Dear Sir

I was extremely sorry to Hear by Capt. Crawford, that you have been in a bad State of Health for Sometime past, I hope by this time you have got the Better of your Illness which will give you one great Satisfaction; as you Intend to sell out I wish you a good market & a safe Return to your native country. By Letters from England in the spring I was informed of your Brother the Doctor’s Death which is not only a great loss to all His Relations, but even to His country in general, as he Had the Honour to be universally usefull in the Public Station he fill’d. Had he lived I am very Certain he would have done something for me on my return to England, having received all the assistance from him in his power, the last time I was at London, I am still first mate of the Prcr. Of Orange, and shall remain this winter at Halifase, which is unlucky for me as I am afraid we shall have a Peace soon, In this case I belive will be my best way to go into the East India Service, but If the war continues, a Recommendation to any of your friends in London may be of use to me. Our ship was one that went on the expedition against Quebec the Particulars of which Capt. Crawford can give you a Better account of that as he was on the spot; I shall only observe that both fleet and army Did their Duty like true Sons of Britton, and it was a common saying all over the fleet that the Highlanders behaved like angels. If you’ll please to write one before you set out for England and give me a direction to ….. ….. you’ll greatly oblidge.
                                               
Dear Sir
Your affectionate cousin & Humble Servt.
Jo: Clephane

Prce. of Orange in Halifase Harbour

          Novr. ye. 10th 1759

Note: Letter to Major James Clephane at New York, from his cousin John Clephane, mate of the Prince of Orange, discussing Clephane's impending retirement due to health concerns and wishing him a safe return home. Also, discussing the death of Clephane's brother, Doctor Clephane, and his ship's participation in the expedition to Quebec, where 'the Highlanders behaved like angels.'

Source:
Clephane, John. Letter to Major James Clephane at New York, 1759. GD125/22/17/29. National Archives Scotland.

©  Jeffrey Campbell, 78th Regiment of Foot, 2019.

Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment